Renting a dumpster is one of the best ways to contain the mess and debris of home or office renovation projects. There are a number of advantages to renting a dumpster, including:
- Simplicity – Having a large, central dump spot for the trash, garbage, junk and debris from your project can save you time. You won’t have to haul your stuff to the dump constantly.
- Size – Whether you need to throw out large items like a couch or you want something that can handle renovation debris, there are so many different dumpster sizes that you’re sure to find one that fits the job.
- Service – Your professional junk removal company will drop off and pick up the dumpster which means less work and less heavy lifting for you.
- Safety – With a dumpster, you avoid items piling up on the worksite which can present a hazard to you and others in the area.
- Efficiency – A clean and safe worksite will help you and others work more efficiently and with less stress.
- Environment – With the right junk removal company, your unwanted items will be recycled rather than put in a landfill.
An added benefit to renting a dumpster is that it can act as a motivator for you to stop putting off an annoying chore and just get the work done. Knowing that the dumpster will be picked up on a specific day gives you a deadline to work towards.
To get the most from your dumpster there are some things you can do to prepare for the drop-off.
1. Make room
While it may seem obvious that you need to set aside enough space for your dumpster rental, it can sometimes get overlooked and left to the last minute. Sometimes customers may even find that they don’t have enough space for the size of the dumpster they’ve rented. So it’s essential that you do some planning before it arrives.
Decide the best spot on the site for the dumpster and measure it. Select a place that you will be able to get to quickly and easily while you are working on your home or office renovation project. You’ll also want to clear away anything in the way, including hanging items like tree branches etc.
2. Have a plan
It is helpful to plan out what you want to get done while you have the dumpster on your property. You don’t need to be elaborate but sketch out a few goals and some deadlines for those goals. How much work do you want to get done before the dumpster is collected? Break that down into smaller, daily goals and stick to your schedule. Doing this helps you stay focused and get the work done on time.
3. Know the rules
Understand what items you can dump and those you can’t, such as toxic or hazardous waste. Your dumpster rental company will be able to give you a list of items. However, if you are in the middle of your project and are not sure about a certain item, give the company a call to clarify. If you do need to dump items that are not permitted in the dumpster, talk to your junk removal people to find the best way to dispose of the items.
4. Get your waste ready
You don’t need to wait until your dumpster arrives to start planning what needs to go. Create a pile or even a list of things that you want to dispose of so that when your rental does arrive, you’ll be that much further ahead. It may even be useful to put the waste near where the dumpster will be dropped off. This can save you time when it arrives. Having your waste ready to go will also help you avoid going over the rental time which can cost you more.
5. Reduce your waste
Not everything needs to go into the dumpster. Consider the items that you are looking to get rid of – maybe there is another way to dispose of them. Are they still in good condition? Perhaps you could try to sell them. Post an ad online or on social media and see if you can make a little money off your unwanted junk. There may be some items that you can take to the thrift store as a charitable donation. Drop some of the smaller items off at your local recycling centre which can save you space in your dumpster for the things that you really need to throw out.
6. Create a checklist
To get your home or office renovation done right and on time, create a checklist of things you need to do before your dumpster arrives. This can be very beneficial if there are many people or contractors working on the same project. Some of the things to put on your checklist include:
- Book the type and size of dumpster you need for your project through our online booking page
- Call the professional junk removal company to confirm drop off and pick up delivery dates
- Inform your removal people about any special needs or requirements for your project
- Get permits for your dumpster if you plan to keep it on municipal property such as the road outside your home
- Print out a copy of the permitted and non-permitted items for the dumpster
Renting a dumpster can be a quick, easy and efficient way to get rid of the unwanted stuff that has been cluttering up your space. By following these tips, you can make the most of your dumpster rental.
For more information about dumpster rental in Brampton, call Gorilla Bins at 905-230-1300 or contact us here.